Monday, November 12, 2007

Garden Update 11-17-07

Last week, I forgot to mention that I planted some garlic and sweet peas for the spring. This is my first year planting garlic from real garlic stock from the gardening store. I went to my local Orchard Supply Hardware store and got 3 bulbs for $1.96. There was no tax since garlic is food. It takes about 9 months for a clove of garlic to mature and become a bulb. A garlic expert on the Martha Stewart Show compared growing garlic to a baby. It takes nine months for garlic to mature and 9 months for a baby to come out. It was an interesting analogy nonetheless. I potted them in a container since we might be moving by the time the bulbs are ready to pick. I expect some yummy garlic next summer.

Last year, I tried to grow garlic from the grocery store but they didn’t work. They would produce lots of shoots but once they died out, I could never find any bulbs. I believe there is a growth inhibitor in grocery store garlic that prevents them from growing. Urgh....well I hope I got it right this time around.

I also planted some sweet peas I got from Home Depot from a company called Stover seeds. They sell bulk packets of seeds. I got around 300 sweet peas and thousands of California Poppies for around $3.97 a piece. They also have vegetable seeds in bulk too. They're around $2.97 a piece. I plan to get some bok choi and other veggie seeds in the spring. I’ve only had one sweet pea bloom last year. It was mainly because I started them in the spring. My coworker who grows a plethora of sweet peas every year suggested that I plant my sweet peas right now for blooms in the spring. I listened to her and I hope next year we’ll have pretty sweet peas.

Currently, I am pre-germinating some seeds I collected this year. I like to test seeds before I put them up for trade just to make sure they work. This week, I’m germinating some coriander, broccoli-De Cicco, and two types of eggplants (purple and white). I hope they work. It just gives me more validation that what I’m doing-gardening wise-is right. When I was in the grocery store the other day, I saw a huge bag of coriander seeds on sale for $2.69. This was a very large bag. I’m going to get them and try germinating them this year.

I also picked up two taro roots when I was at the grocery store too. Taro root plants look similar to “Elephant Ears” or Alocasias. They were relatively cheap; $.50 a piece compared to $5.99 per root at the garden center. I placed them in a deep pot and placed them in the sun. I hope they root and produce cool little plants for me. I’m a little weary because it is winter and it’s probably not the best time to pot these up since they’re tropical plants. Well, I’ll try them anyway and protect them from frost or bring them in. If they don’t work, I’ll only have wasted $1.00 instead of $10-$12. That’s all for now!

7 comments:

Meg said...

I think you're right about grocery store garlic. They douse them with something that keeps the cloves from sprouting in the store, since most people would stay away from green stuff shooting out of their garlic. I, on the other hand, would snatch that right up and stick it in the garden!

Anonymous said...

pretty christmas tree.
What happened to your boxwood cuttings? I am very interested in their progress.

Gardening for Fun said...

I checked and there's no new growth. I have it in a plastic bag for humidity and am waiting for roots to form. Keep checking, I'll let you know what happens in the next couple of weeks! Here's hoping to some roots!

Anonymous said...

Hi therе! Do уоu uѕe Τwittеr?
I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm definitely enјoying уour blog and look forward to new updateѕ.


mу wеbpage - hcg weight loss program

Anonymous said...

Kudoѕ, I apprеciatе it!

Also ѵіѕit my page ... gardening

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog.. Very niсe colors & theme.

Did you ԁevеlop thiѕ sitе уouгself?
Pleaѕe replу back as I’m attempting tο create my veгy own
blog and would loνe to leаrn where
you got thiѕ from or just what the theme is calleԁ.
Apprecіаte it!

mу weblog garden ()

Anonymous said...

You’ve maԁе somе rеallу goоd ρoints there.

I checκed οn thе nеt tо lеarn moгe about
the issue and found moѕt peoрle wіll gο along
with уouг viеωs on this site.



Fеel freе to viѕіt mу ωеb ѕitе :
: organiс pοtting soil (http://blog.sylhetbestbazaar.com)