Saturday, January 5, 2008

Garden Update January 05-06, 2008

Seed Starting (Early Spring Vegetables)(click image for larger view)

Seating Chart for the Seeds (click image for larger view)

Yesterday, I planted three varieties of lettuce: bib, black seeded simpson, and another variety I can't recall indoors. I think they'll be ready to set out in a couple of weeks. I want to try lettuce for the early spring months. I'm going to try container planting in my self-watering containers. I bought three self-watering containers last year for my tomatoes and zucchini and since I won't be able to plant those until the spring, I thought I could use them for lettuce and radishes. Another advantage of using containers is the ability to move the containers into and out of the sun.

On Saturday, I decided to start some cool weather vegetable seeds for early spring. I planted them in my new Planter's Pride 72-cell starting trays. I plan on growing the following:
  • 8-Lettuce (Bibb)
  • 8-Lettuce (Iceberg)
  • 8-Lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson)
  • 12-Bok Choi
  • 8-Swiss Chard
  • 4-Brussel Sprouts (Catskill)
  • 16-Radish (Cherry Belle)
  • 6-Celery (Utah Tall)
I'll be able to collect enough from this batch for daily salads in the spring and early spring. All I need is to buy store bought cucumbers and ranch dressing to finish off my salads!

The broccoli I started from seed on Monday sprouted on Wednesday. I was surprised at how fast they sprouted. My cabbage seeds sprouted yesterday and now they are with the broccoli seedlings nestled underneath my growlights. I'm still waiting on my parsley to sprout. I have them sitting on top of our fridge for warmth. From my past experience with parsley, it takes them awhile to germinate. Here's hoping.

Yesterday, I cleaned up my grow shelves for the upcoming adventures of starting my veggie and flower seeds for the spring. I have 2 new seed starting trays I got from my local OSH for $5.00 which include a tray, 72 compartment tray, and a humidity dome. One is for veggies and the other is for flowers. In addition to that, I also have a ton of peat pellets I'm going to use for my summer veggies (tomatoes, eggplant, pepper, cucumbers, and squash).

No comments: