Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hot...Hot...Hot!!!

This week, we're expecting temperatures in the high 90's and low 100's. Eek! It wasn't too long ago that I was complaining about the weather being abnormal. In fact, it was just last week that I was complaining about the weather. I'm kind of wishing temps were still abnormal. My hot-weather veggies are happily basking in the change of temperatures though and if they're happy, I'm happy. I hope my peppers eventually start growing. Right now, they're only 5" tall and I expected them to be a little taller. Last year at this time, my bell peppers were already a foot tall. Anywho, the odd weather is probably the answer to the slow growth.

On Sunday, I crushed some eggshells and sprinkled them around my tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers. Eggshells provide the plants with extra calcium and prevents blossom-end rot on tomatoes. The eggshells are also a barrier for slugs and snails since the crushed eggshells are so sharp, they cut the slug's and snail's underbelly and they eventually die (too graphic uhh).

Other than watering my garden on a daily basis, I've been letting things grow on their own pace. I've been fertilizing every two weeks with seaweed emulsion but that's about it. Today, I picked some supersweet tomatoes for a salad I'll be having later tonight. Yumm-o. I can't wait until my romas are ripe so I can make fresh salsa!!!

No comments: